- 3 golden or white onions
- 100 g all purpose flour
- 300 ml or so of buttermilk (you can easily do it at home)
- 300 g of cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp of sweet pimenton (a spanish product, you can replace it with paprika)
- sunflower or olive oil
1) Cut the onion into rings into 3 or 4 mms slices the night before you cook them in order to let them dry well.
2) Prepare three bowls, in the first one put the all purpose flour, in the second one put the buttermilk*, and in the third one put the cornstarch along with salt and pepper and the sweet pimenton (or paprika if you can't find this spanish delight). Meanwhile, put a pan on high heat with enough oil to fry.
3) Pass the onion ring through the first bowl containing all purpose flour, then for the butermilk one and at last dip them into the cornstarch. Fry the onion rings until they becomes golden brown, for about one minute or so. Remember to turn them upside down to fry them homogeneously. Take them out of the frying pan and let them dry a bit over a kitchen paper and eat them with your favourite sauce.
Happy 4th of july to all americans and friends of America worldwide!
* You can find buttermilk in big retail stores, but you can easily do it at home squeezing a lemon into some milk and let it rest for about 10 minutes or so. In this way you'll have your own buttermilk almost immediately!